This week is Transgender Awareness Week.
And this is your reminder to recognise, celebrate and to speak up for the transgender people in our community.
It is also a week to reflect - have you educated yourself on trans issues? Do you read trans literature? Have you truly listened to the concerns of trans people? What are you doing to be more inclusive?
How can you support the trans people in your community?
- Ask people pronouns, don't assume.
- Give you pronouns when introducing yourself (and add them to you IG bio).
- Respect the name they tell you they use.
- Educate yourself.
- Call someone out when they are being transphobic.
To My Trans Sisters edited by Charlie Craggs
- Transgender History by Susan Stryker
- Subject to Change: Trans Poetry & Conversation edited by H. Melt
- Redefining Realness: My Path to Womanhood, Identity, Love & So Much More by Janet Mock
- A Safe Girl to Love by Casey Plett
- Meanwhile, Elsewhere: Science Fiction and Fantasy from Transgender Writers edited by Cat Fitzpatrick
- Whipping Girl: A Transsexual Woman on Sexism and the Scapegoating of Femininity by Julia Serano